The Volunteer Program enhances MIIC’s capacity to implement client centered programs by providing volunteer services that contribute to the success of MIIC’s mission. Staff and volunteers work directly with our in-house residents to provide additional support in the early stages of their arrival at Welcome Place. Volunteers work with clients, including those who have moved to a permanent residence, to provide conversational English classes, field trips, site visits to local cultural arts and sporting venues and holiday celebrations. MIIC clients also familiarize themselves with basic computer literacy skills offered through computer classes.
• Providing Classroom Conversational English as an Additional Language (EAL).
• Women’s computer classes
• Offering friendship and support to refugee newcomers through the Social Group
• Organizing special events for newcomers; creating social connections, and creating a sense of belonging in a new community.
• Providing orientation to the City
• Staff who are available to practice English; and
• Provide additional support to MIIC services and programs.